September 2, 2017 from 12.00 to 16.00 on the Independence Square in. The World Day of Information on Overdose will be held in Kiev. At a press briefing at 13 o’clock, representatives of the media and indifferent citizens are invited. The press-briefing will be attended by a member of the Supervisory Board of the NGO “Club Aeneas”, coordinator of social work Parhmenko Velta, human rights activist and lawyer Bordunis Tatiana.
In the European Region, almost 12,000 people die from overdoses every year, while global statistics show 187,000 deaths from an overdose each year.
In recent years, the situation with opiate poisoning has become more complex as a result of the emergence of a large number of synthetic opioids, which are toxic and stronger than heroin. Hundreds of thousands of lives could be saved by making an injection of naloxone on time.
On the Day of Overdose Information, public activists, drug addicts and their relatives, human rights activists will honor the memory of those who died from an overdose and draw the attention of authorized persons to the problem of access to naloxone. The format of the event includes:
– Press briefing at 13.00 with representatives of non-governmental organizations providing services for the prevention and support of drug dependence treatment, drug addicts;
– Performance to illustrate the need to provide access to naloxone;
– Collection of signatures under the reference to the Acting President. Minister of Health to expand access to naloxone;
– Free HIV testing and counseling to promote and expand access to testing;
– Organizers distribute preventive (condoms and lubricants), information materials;
– The young group “The Fifth Parish” will perform the performance of alternative music performers from among the representatives of the organization.
Naloxone – The drug that saves lives is not much, it is not a narcotic drug, but it is sold under the prescription, and therefore is not available for the average consumer.
The action is carried out by the All-Ukrainian Association of People with Drug Addiction, the Public Association “Club Eney” and ICF “Alliance of Public Health” with the support and assistance of the Eurasian Network of People Who Use Drugs, the IBU “VCs PLHIV”, the Consortium of key communities of Ukraine, Trans -Atlantic Medical Relief Foundation “TAMRF” and the public organization “Little Heart with Art”.